WH- questions (Question Words)
There are two main types of questions: Yes/No questions and WH- question. WH-questions are questions starting with WH-words including: what, when, where, who, whom, which, whose, why and how.
Question words are used to ask about specific qualities, times, places, people and so on. Below is a list of question words and example sentences:
Used to ask about things
- What are you doing?- What do you think about the movie?
Used to ask about time
- When will the meeting start?- When are you leaving?
Used to ask about places
- Where’s my bag?- Where do you live?
Used to ask about people
- Who do you love the most in your family?- Who told you that story?
Used to ask about people (object of verb)
- Whom did you see in the morning? I saw Mr. Mark, my English teacher.- Whom was Jim talking to? He was talking to Jack, his new roommate.
Used to ask about choices
- Which one do you choose? The left or right?- Of all the drinks in the menu, which one would you like?
Used to ask about possession
- Whose pencil is this? Is it yours?- Whose books are these?
Used to ask about reasons/ causes
- Why did it happen? I didn’t understand.- Why is he crying?
Used to ask about manner/ process
- How can you explain this problem? Please tell us.- How can you get here?
I. How to form WH-questions?
1. with an auxiliary
WH-WORD + AUXILIARY + SUBJECT + MAIN VERB …?
2. without any auxiliary
(when WH-words replace subjects already)
WH-WORD + MAIN VERB …?
II. Responding to WH-questions
Wh Questions Test
WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 3]
SELECT quiz_id, question_id, answer_array, question_answer_info, question_type_new, question_settings
WHERE question_id IN ()
Get Our Basic English Grammar Ebook (pdf)
Want to download all the grammar lessons to learn offline? For just $4.99, you will get instant access to our Basic English Grammar ebook (pdf, 93 pages). It includes 40 basic English grammar lessons covering most of the English grammar tenses and most-used structures.check out 0ur Resources Page here.